Last Thursday while I was dropping my baby off for his first day of kindergarten I got the call I've been waiting a year and a half for. With 50 excited kindergartners all around me I could barely hear the words "we have some children we would like to talk with you about". As I struggled to keep my emotions in check I explained to her that I was dropping my son off at school and would need to call my husband and have him rush home. She laughed and said that there was no rush and to give her a call back as soon as we were ready. No rush? Are you kidding? I called Steve and told him to rush home, that this was it - the call we have been waiting for. The 25 minutes it took him to get home seemed to last forever.
We called our social worker and sat together as she told us about three (yes three) beautiful children who were in need of a family. 3- year- old twins - Tarekegn (boy) and Konjit (girl) and their 1- year- old baby brother, Bereket.
We feel so blessed, happy, excited and yes a bit overwhelmed. All while knowing that our joy comes from someone else's sorrow and heartbreak of which we could never understand. We have felt the Lord's hand and we are so grateful and look forward to our new adventure.
We will keep you updated on the rest of the process. We were not expecting three kids and so need to juggle a bit of paper work. We are also waiting to be assigned a court date and hope to have one in October after the courts reopen. Our estimated time to travel is December or January. The sooner the better - my heart is on the other side of the world and I can't wait to put my arms around my babies!
(Once we pass court I will post pictures - they are beautiful!)
So, She Needed A New Bed
9 years ago


14 comments:
Reading your post just made me cry. I'm so happy for you, Shannon. Isn't it amazing what Heavenly Father has waiting for each of us? I so look forward to reading your journey through these next months. Love you lots!
You are making me cry! I am so happy for you. I continue to pray for them and for you and I am so excited to meet them!
Oh bawl fest, me too. We are so happy for you!
Oh my gosh - I am Becky's friend Staci who is also adopting from Ethiopia. I check in on occasion to see if you'd gotten your referral. HURRAY!!! What an amazing family you are and will be. Congratulations! Hope court date comes soon...
TEARS of JOY!!!!!!!!
I am so excited for you and your sweet family. My prayers will change, now I'll be praying that you will be together with all your children as soon as possible.
Holy Bouncing Babies Batman!!!!!!
WOW!!!! I am so happy for your family. Your post was beautiful. I don't know how you can sleep. We will pray for the time to fly by and for the path to be "easy".
Much Love.
Congrats!!! I am so thrilled for you guys. You have waited long enough and just like you can't wait to wrap your arms around them, I can't wait to meet them. Yeah. December/January can't come fast enough! Kim
Dad and I are almost as excited as you are. We are incredibly proud of you and excited beyond words to meet our new grandchildren. Tears coming from NW Provo, too. Happy tears for you, sad tears for the circumstances that lead to them. Love you!!
Sorry - I'm not crying. ;) But i am still really, really happy for you. Can't wait to see pics and meet them.
I didn't have your email address so I wanted to leave one more little comment in response to yours. We are using Dove Adoptions International located in Portland. They are really organized and we like them so far. We are adopting two, but Dove allows adoptions of unrelated siblings, so we will take twins, or two unrelated bebes (18 months is our upper limit so we can maintain the birth order in the fam) There is a possibility one could be 4 months, another 10, etc. We obviously won't know until referral call. :) I hope you don't mind me checking in. It is so helpful and inspiring to see other families get to the other side of the mountain. We hopefully will be sending out our dossier by the end of next week. We are waiting on 1 or 2 more pieces.
Congrats, congrats, congrats!!! So happy for you!!! I can't wait to see pics. :)
That is so cool. I have always had a ton of respect for you and Steve and now that ton as gone to two tons of respect. So is court date to get your name finally and a passport? Just kidding. Lisa told me about this and I was so excited for you.
Shannon -
Congratulations about your THREE new little ones!! Wow - I am SO impressed that you would devote your life to helping save not one or two, but THREE children at once! You and Steve are the most amazing people in the world. Erik and I look up to you with so much admiration. I hope and pray for you. My neighbor has adopted a little African girl, and I talked to her about you; you are welcome to contact her to talk - she has helped many people through their transition stages of having a new baby from Africa (and all the cultural "surprises.") You can reach her through my blog friends list - her name is Alisa Jones.
And HAPPY 40TH BIRTHDAY!! I hope you had a smashing surprise party! We wanted to come, but could not make it that day. That's awesome that you got to have a surprise party!
Yay!!! We are so excited for you! What great news. Twins wow! that is a project all by itself. How exciting. I hope everything goes smoothly and quickly for you guys.
We leave this Friday, Oct. 2nd to go get our kids and bring them home. I am so excited!.....and scared :)
What an adventure we are both about to have!
Post a Comment